Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Uwi and Joseph

I had an opportunity to watch some television tonight and I came across a program on the History Channel called “Rwanda: Will scars Heal…” or something of that nature. It was a pretty graphic documentary on Rwanda’s history and it showed a lot of the actual footage in Kigali during the genocide.

I watched alone for a while, and then Mike and Amber joined in. Joseph and Uwimana also began to watch when the program turned into discussing the build up prior to the genocide (radio excerpts, etc). They don’t usually watch television with us but they both peered in as they heard some of their native language. By the time it was over, I noticed that Uwimana was wiping tears. He quietly got up and walked to the door. I put my hand on his shoulder but he kept walking.

I called for Ben and he and I went outside to be with Uwimana. I was so grateful because Cyprien was here so we asked him to come with us. Uwimana’s tears turned into sobs. Ben reached out to him as he sat on the steps in the front of the house. It was so hard for me to watch Uwi cry. Ben and I both held him and he seemed accepting of the comfort.

I have never heard Uwi’s story and I don’t know much… but I was so crushed by the pain he shared regarding his sisters. I know that he is traumatized over their deaths and I didn’t inquire for any details… but it is obvious that as an 18 year old boy, he struggled with feelings of helplessness and intense fear. Uwi is always smiling and I can’t imagine how anyone could ever wish him or his family harm. It is beyond my comprehension. He also shared that his first wife died in 2000 after having his first two children. He has that pain to bear as well.

Joseph was also there as we prayed together. He shared some of his story as well. He took refuge in a hospital during the war. But coming home afterwards was terrible for him. He has a tender heart and each time someone cries over their losses, he cries with them and tonight he cried for Uwi.

It was a very sobering time for me. It is easy to start looking at this country as impoverished and needy… that is clear. But one thing I can sometimes loose sight of is the trauma that each person is holding just under the surface. It feels like just yesterday that they experienced these atrocities. Images are burned into their memories that they wish they could erase.
Could you please pray for the people of Rwanda today once again? Please pray for their healing. Pray for renewed hope and vision for a good future for all Rwandans. Amen

No comments: