Sunday, July 02, 2006

Dave Ferguson Dances??

Tim S. told me that today he felt like he was in a “missionary slide show”. And I would have to agree with him on that. We all felt like we experienced something rare and unique to most people. We attended a small village church in Gitumba Village. Our group was too large for the building, so we stayed outside under a torn green tarp. We were honored guests who sat facing the crowd of mostly women and children. The men seemed to be primarily pastors!

We listened as the two choirs sang us songs with no accompaniment other than a large drum and of course their hands clapping. It was so beautiful. I think music in heaven will sound like that! The other huge difference with the service is that Rick brought his guitar and we sang worship songs for the audience! They wouldn’t let us stop! We planned on singing one song… I think it turned into 5 or 6!

The best part for me was when Tim S. preached. I closed my eyes and felt like I was transported back home (except for the translator of course!) I have truly missed his preaching. He told a story about a Stone Face. It is a long story… but the main point is that we all resemble Christ. Even ordinary people can be like Christ. He encouraged the whole crowd to keep their eyes on Jesus. I saw the pastor of the church following along very closely and he seemed intrigued by the story, but I saw him adamantly shake his head in agreement when Tim began to say, “You are like that… you can be like Jesus.”

There was a joyful time of dancing (which I did some…) Sue, Debbie and I were sweating by the time we were finished! But I think we would still be dancing now if we hadn’t stopped things! Even Dave danced! Of course, he had Ben as a partner so you can imagine how interesting that was….

We all also took a long walk to our Rwandan family’s house. We had an opportunity to see Constance and she showed us how to clean beans for eating (women’s job) and also how to get them out of the pods (men’s job). It was fun.

My other highlight happened this evening. As you know, Amber has pneumonia and wasn’t feeling well today. She still took care of the kids today, amazingly. But tonight she started talking to me about her fears of going into highschool two days after we arrive back in the states. I was trying hard to pay attention and reassure her while not falling asleep during the talk. Amy Ferguson heard us talking about it and she came upstairs. She then sat down and just began listening to Amber’s concerns. She asked her probing questions about why she was so nervous. Basically, she just opened herself up and told her exactly what she did to make it through the first week. Amber felt SO much better before she went to bed. I am so glad Amy is here! Amy is a shy girl primarily and she really stepped out of her comfort zone to help out. It was really wonderful… girls like that make my job as a mom tons easier!

So tonight, I am ready for bed and still typing! I am fighting off a cold too. My throat is sore (has been for a few days)… but I am hoping a good sleep will help.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Melody! This is Casey! I wanted to see how yall were doing and it sounds like everything is "a-OK"! I miss you guys! I also heard Amber has pneumonia- that's horrible! OMG i left thinking she was getting better only to hear that she is worse- tell her i said hey and that i hope she feels better soon and that i hope her and Amy are having a great time together! I wanted to thank you and Ben again for the most amazing experience of my life!!! I have so many stories to tell, and so many pictutes to show and so many great memories! Plus now i am obsessed with orange fanta (which was my choice for my daily soda there:)
Best Whishes!!!!
Murabeho
Casey Gossman

Ben Pahlow said...

Hi Casey!!! It is so great to hear from you! We all have missed you so much. I will tell the girls you said hello to them! Keep praying for Amber... she is back on Biaxin! We will do a 10 day round to make sure to kick it! I know...the orange fanta rocks! Love ya tons!

Melody