Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Ummmm... I guess I really am in Africa

Well I guess I can say I am in Africa… because yesterday the boys were playing outside (at night, without shoes on, with no flashlight) and they came across a snake. It was three feet long and curled up on the warm rocks outside the house that is until they went running past it. Then it started uncurling and turned towards them. That is when Michael started screaming for Joseph and Uwimana (our cook and security guard). Uwimana was the first to arrive on the scene and he must have known something was wrong because he had his security stick in his hand (basically it is just a 4 foot long tree branch). As soon as he saw the green serpent, he stepped between the boys and it and began to hit it repeatedly. It apparently had no chance… you would be amazed to see how fierce Uwimana can be (even though he is 5’ 8” and 150 lbs!). He proceeded to pick it up by the tail and fling it over the wall surrounding our compound.

In the meanwhile, Nate and Mike come running into the house and screaming, “Mom! There was a cobra outside!” Now here is where you realize just how little I know my boys… “Ok… right! Haa… haaa..” Then Nate said, “No seriously!” OK! My line of thinking was interrupted… Did I hear him right? A snake?? Everyone I talk to says they never have seen a snake here. And wait a minute, is this one of those gardener snakes that the boys always play with back home? Maybe they are going to bring it in the house… Oh man, I better deal with this.

So I go outside (without my shoes on) and ask Uwimana, “Did you see a sssssss…” (That is African English). “Qui! Insoka!” He yells excitedly. (Which is French of course for “yes” and Kinyarwandan for “snake”.) I am getting used to hearing and speaking three or four languages all day long! Then Joseph comes out of his little room in the back of the house (without shoes and ONLY wearing boxer briefs) and starts laughing… “Qui, Insoka!”

This is when I started thinking, “Now would be a good time to get Ben”. Of course, I come running inside and I ask him to come outside and he makes me wait until he finishes his email! I help him on with his shorts and we go outside to try to find out what really happened. Uwimana helped Ben scour the back of the wall (Ben wasn’t wearing shoes either) looking for the dead snake. Unfortunately, it was still alive… damaged severely but moving none the less. After I made Ben put his shoes on, he went up and got a good look at it. He showed me… from a distance. A toad leaped in front of me just then and I felt my heart stop. Uwimana said, “Oya… Sow wa!” (Which is Kinyarwandan for “No” and Swahili for “It’s ok!”)

Ok, so this is where someone who speaks English joins the party. Our neighbor’s security guard (wearing shoes and carrying a stick) is an English speaking Rwandese man. He says, “Ooohhh… that is the most poisonous snake in Rwanda..” “What kind??” I asked quickly. He replies “I can’t say exactly… it is very bad, I have to look in the light. But it will kill you, unless it passes you and then it is not your time to die.” AGAIN… WHAT??? DIE?? Snakes in Kigali.. there is no such thing! That is what everyone has told me.

Now, the shocking news didn’t come until I realized it was, according to all the pictures on the internet, a green mamba. The most dreaded snake in all of Africa. I don’t believe there is any cure for its venom. I was really terrified. My boys were so close to it!

Bottom line, there are snakes in Kigali. I had no idea. Apparently our Muzungu neighbor has sprayed pesticide and has upset some icky pests. I don’t want to know what will show up next! But God protected us and I am so glad for Uwimana... I hugged him so long. He is like an angel God sent just for us!

Keep praying for protection of our hearts and bodies! It is working! Even if God’s protective sword looks like a branch to me!

1 comment:

The Haines Family said...

Oh dear! Thank you God for your protection! Hug everyone for us!
Love,
Pam