Wednesday, July 26, 2006

On the other side!

I have been thinking lately about returning home. I feel mixed emotions. There are many things that I would like to take back with me to America… like the weather (which is very temperate – 85 degrees and no humidity), or the fresh fruit and vegetables, the friends and staff we have here, all of the sponsored families who love us so much and of course the house helpers!

But I can’t stop thinking about all the things I am about to enjoy again! It is so funny because my missionary friends sit around and talk about what they miss most about the states. We don’t dwell on it long… it just makes us all too sad. But now that I am going home in a few weeks, and I am starting to talk out loud with the kids about the following things:

1. A hot bath (we don’t have water here sometimes, and usually it is just warm and comes out in a trickle… a bath is totally out of the question!)
2. A great church service and my small group (the churches here are good… but they last 3-4 hours with NO KID CITY!)
3. CAKE… I can’t tell you how much I miss it. I had friends who brought me chocolates and sweets, but I miss chocolate cake!
4. Chicken…barbequed, baked, smothered, wrapped! (There is hardly ANY chicken here; I think we had it 4 times in two and a half months. They won’t import any because of bird flu.)
5. Using faucet water (we use bottled water for everything, even brushing our teeth).
6. A barefoot walk in the grass unafraid (no poisonous snakes, caterpillars or scorpions to worry about!)
7. JEWEL and TARGET! I can’t wait to smell the soap aisles!
8. Our washing machine!
9. Kid’s activities and friends (They are really driving me crazy! This country is very non-kid friendly… there aren’t even any parks!)
10. Air conditioning!!!!
11. My own WORKING car (we have a good vehicle, but it keeps breaking down… I am stuck in the house a lot!)
12. Time by myself (there is no way for me to go by myself somewhere alone and just read a book or shop, etc.)
13. Electricity that won’t turn off at any moment.
14. Internet that is faster than dial up!
15. A haircut (I need a professional REAL bad!)
16. ALL MY FRIENDS!!!
17. I can’t wait to see Pirates of the Caribbean II!
18. Our dogs… we have been getting pictures of them from home and they are getting definitely cuter the farther away from home I am!
19. Phone service anywhere (except for that one place on Route 55 near I355!)
20. MY COZY BED with pillow top and yummy pillows!… (we are laying on a 4” piece of foam that Ben is about to take a hatchet to!)

I could go on and on…. but I am making myself crazy! This is the worst I have felt about “sacrificing”! I think now that I know I am about to go home I am experiencing the worst of it! Only 15 days until we leave for England… We will do some presentations there and then come home on August 19. I can’t wait!!!! Of course, the grass is always greener on the other side – right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You will be missed when you leave to come home. I know cuz I sit on the other side. BUT!!!!! You have been obedient to the One that matters more than anything. I truly myself have had the most interesting summer. As sercomstances have caused to to evaluate my call as one who follows the living God.
Thank you to both yourself and you groom for being an awesome example. Your love for God has been poored out richly on those in Rwanda. And the work God has done in you I pray will continue till all the people in Rwanda know and serve the same God we do.

In Christ
Kath
PS I am working on that chocolate cake and BBQ Chicken. Will be waiting here when you get home.