Thursday, June 28, 2007

The Wisdom of Children

So Nathan has not been complaining lately. I have noticed that he has a smile on his face almost all day long and he seems content. I was walking with him today and I said to him, “So it seems that you have been pretty happy.” He laughed at me and said, “Well, I have this new theory… you have to be okay with what you have. And we have food, family, a house and internet…what else do I need?” I am still smiling at the last thing on the list. I guess internet comes pretty high on the needs list!

But seriously I am pretty amazed at his decision to choose liking it here. He just decided to be content one day. How interesting. Why can’t I do that? There is wisdom in children! I want to learn that too… contentment.

Speaking of children, Ben and I have met a family here that has a ministry called “Father’s House”. They are an interesting mixed family of Ukrainian, American and Ugandan children. I think there are about 18 people living in their house about 30 minutes from here. I had an opportunity to talk to Jessica the 15 year old American from that family. She had lots of wisdom too!

She was telling me about her life as a missionary (she has been one longer than me!) and how she has had to give God everything… all her hopes, all her dreams, her whole life. She surrendered it to Him and begged Him to meet her needs. She told me He has given back so many of her desires and she trusts that He has her best interests in mind.

As I was listening to her I realized that I have held on to so many things, and I am miserable for it. I have especially held on to my kids. I want so much for them to be happy and not suffer. I don’t want them to loose out on things because we are called to missions. I had no idea that when God was calling me to GFR he would be calling me to let go of my children’s futures. Honestly, I have a hard time believing that He has their best interests in mind even if they have to suffer losses.

But as I listened to Jessica, I realized that my children have their own relationship with God and they belong to Him. He is drawing them to Himself. As Jessica said, “God used my emptiness to pull me into Him.” What a testimony.

God I pray that you would use my children’s emptiness and losses to draw them into You just like Jessica. I want to surrender everything but I am afraid to let go. Help me trust You. This is Your ministry Father, not mine. I need You to meet the African’s needs AND my children’s too. I know You love us. I choose to believe that You want what is best for me and the kids. I choose to be content. Now help me as I choose to continue to surrender each moment of each day. Thank you for children who carry Your wisdom! Amen.

Jessica and Melody

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ben and melody, sorry for not keeping up with the communication. Excuses like graduation and jobs seem pretty weak when i read and see these pictures. My heart sunk. I really want to go over there and help these kids. I will continue to pray and some how maybe a trip could happen before you leave. God bless your family and pray for health and you energy to continue on. There seems to b e big plans there will unfold. love Jeff Haines

Anonymous said...

Hello Ben and Melody!
May God bless and guard you for ever and always!
These are your friends, Ngirabatware Family!