Friday, June 22, 2007

I need a donut!

I am sitting in my bedroom at 11:00 in the morning. The mosquito net is still hanging messily over the queen sized bed, the fan is still blowing and I can hear the guard outside sweeping the driveway. But all I can think about is Olive Garden alfredo sauce! I am drooling thinking about it. I always use the sauce to dip those hot garlic breadsticks into. ARGH! I am torturing myself.

We don’t have a working oven right now. It is driving me crazy. I have 6 brownie mixes that I brought and I can’t even cook them! I haven’t had chocolate for days. That is never good. Well, I did eat some chocolate chips but that doesn’t count! They are semi-sweet!

And I am thinking about Chipotle and the lime-crusted chips. And then there is the Krispy Kreme chocolate donuts with crème inside. I would love to have real mashed potatoes and corn. OH! I am going to miss the corn harvest in Illinois. There is nothing like boiled corn with butter and salt.

But as I am laying out my imagined feast, I hear a child crying somewhere nearby. The cry wafts up into my bedroom and I forget the delicacies of home temporarily. I wonder what food they dream about when they are hungry.

I will go downstairs and eat my morning toast and tea and try not to think about warm coffee cake and cinnamon rolls dripping with icing. It is so hard to live without the food I am used to. But like I have said before, I usually have choices. When I am in Uganda, I am lucky if I get to eat meat!

I couldn’t help myself… here is a picture of my favorite Krispy Kreme donut!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, girlfriend!! I am so sorry! I am hearing you write about these absolutely awful situations and the emotional (and physical!) toll they are taking on you. You need someone to play with your hair!! I miss doing that.

But, today I want to encourage you. What you are experiencing with food fantasies and the reactions you are having to all the suffering around you is COMPLETELY NORMAL!!! Everyone of us would be doing the same thing if we were in your position. That doesn't necessarily make it easier for you, but what you are feeling and how you are acting are OK.

I think you hit the target straight on when you said that you were needing and wanting to trust God for the people around you and just do your best. That's exactly it! Hang in there, my friend. You are exactly where God wants you in His sovereignty and His perfect timing. Remember, He chose you to be an American with all those food luxuries. I don't know why He didn't make you Ugandan or Rwandan, but He didn't. And that is that. Maybe you'll find some ways to appreciate the differences between you and your new friends that you hadn't thought about before.

You will have many, many chocolate covered, vanilla cream donut-crowns waiting for you when you get to heaven. That's Joe's fave donut, too, btw!

I love you!
Maya