Monday, June 25, 2007

Another entry?? Had to do it!

I have never done two entries in one day. It never seemed necessary. But something happened tonight that needs to be mentioned. We met with Justice Ogoola and Catherine Piwang of ChildReach Africa. They are the Local NGO in Budimo, Busia (East Uganda) that we are seeking to work with. They are a wonderful NGO reaching deep into the rural villages.

We visited that area earlier in June. And I was especially touched by a 19 year old named Humphrey who is an orphan taking care of 5 younger siblings. We were able to give him some shillings and we heard a great report that he purchased some pans (he had none!) and shirts and shoes for his brothers (none for himself). He also bought some food but still kept some money for later. Smart boy.

That is not the best news though… even though that was SO good to hear. We were sitting down for dinner and Justice told us that he attended the church that Pastor Julius preaches at. Pastor Julius is Humphrey’s pastor but he is also the pastor for the old woman that we are building a home for.

Pastor Julius stood up in church and was commending the church. Apparently last week they all got together as a body of believers and rehabilitated a home for another widow in their church. Pastor said, “Brothers and sisters, it is a testimony that people from 6000 miles away would come to our village and build a home for a homeless sister. Global Family Rescue is an example of what we should be doing as a church. We have many able bodied men here. Let us continue to help those around us as we have been encouraged to do.” Justice told us they are taking our example very seriously.

I began to cry. I don’t know exactly why. Maybe it was because we are messengers of hope. Maybe it is because we are a catalyst for change. Maybe it is because as Ben says, “Generosity is contagious.” But somewhere deep inside I think I felt God telling me that He is faithful to do so much with one step of faith. He WILL transform the world through our obedience to follow Him. I am again reminded to trust Him with all my heart. He is worthy to be trusted. I can rest in Him and so can Budimo.

I think tonight will be the first night I will sleep in peace…

No comments: