Thursday, June 21, 2007

Little Blessings

I really don’t know how to explain with my words what I have seen with my eyes today. I did not know that a person could grow mold on their body. It doesn’t seem possible until you have seen it with your own eyes. But without a doubt, today in the suburbs of Kampala, I saw a woman who was my age but looked 80 years old, weighing about 60 pounds, dying of AIDS and growing gray mold on her head, arms and chest. Nakature has been lying on a filthy mattress for almost 4 years. Her bed lies at the bottom of a hill so all the mud and rain flows right onto her. That was hard to see, but then I met her 12 year old daughter who told me she lights a candle each night to see if her mom is still alive. Then we found out… none of them had eaten in 3 days.

I sat down next to Nakature and stroked her arm and head. I gagged when they pulled back the sheet. I wish I didn’t do that. I felt so awful but it was my own body’s reaction to rotting flesh. And poor Nakature’s ear was nearly eaten off by flies. My legs began to shake as the shock set in. I left the mud room to try to pull myself together but didn’t find the mental strength to return. But before I left, I told her that when we are both in heaven we will run together in the fields. She said in her quiet voice, “Amen”. But maybe I won’t recognize her!

What do you say to a woman who will die either tomorrow or next week? All I could think of was to tell her not to worry about her children, which of course is ridiculous to suggest. Of course she will worry… that is what I would do. Ben was much more practical. He made someone run to a restaurant for food and he is trying to buy her a bed that will lift her off the floor and get her a blanket so she can die warm and out of the mud. After I left the room, Ben told me that Nakature insisted on praying for him! Imagine that… she was blessed to have a visitor and wanted to lift him up.

But what about the children? How will they survive? What will happen to her body? How can her 12 year old daughter bury her? How will her 20 year old daughter Grace, who is dying of AIDS as well, be taken care of? It is too much to think about.

On a happier note, I was also able to meet with Cece, another HIV mother. I guess she stands out to me because she is on ARV’s (antiretroviral meds) and is relatively healthy. Cece is blind because her husband beat her so severely. She and I spent a good while talking about life and how she turned over her future to God. She is amazing. I laughed when she told me she wanted my photo. She couldn’t even see it but it would be a physical reminder of my visit. I held up her hands to my face and I told her, “Memorize me!” She put her calloused hands over my cheeks and touched my eyes. Her fingers then traveled up my forehead and she exclaimed, “You have beautiful hair!” It was the highlight of my day. My new friend Cece

And that is truly the wonder of this land… they are blind with grief and sorrow but they can find beauty and joy from the smallest things, even in a visit from a stranger.

If you want to purchase a bed and blanket for Nakature and Grace (Cost is $200) or if you would like to help purchase a home for Cece (Cost is $1500), please email Ben at ben.pahlow@globalfamilyrescue.org




1 comment:

rachelleelise said...

melody ~
this is a photo that will be hanging your home in heaven! (cece's home too!!!)
i love you and your heart towards these broken ones,
chelle