Sunday, June 24, 2007

What is on my hands?

June 23, 2007

Would you touch someone if they had a highly contagious disease? Would it make a difference if they were going to die? Would you risk your own family’s safety to comfort them?

I have spent the day with Nakalula… we thought her name was Nakature but her mind is going so no one knew it exactly. Ben and I brought a doctor with us this time. His name is Dr. John. He was the only doctor at his clinic which is a ½ mile away, but he came anyway. As our car stopped outside Nakalula’s house, Dr. John hopped out of the car with his stethoscope with his lab partner Simon tagging along. When Dr. John entered the house he turned to me and said, “I didn’t know poverty like this existed here.”

Nakalula is all boneThat is an interesting comment coming from an educated Ugandan. He was definitely expecting a more adequate environment. I came here without any expectations and so I had no idea how bad this situation truly was.

Simon brought two syringes to draw blood for testing. Nakalula took a little prodding to allow it. I held her hand as she sang a worship song during the blood draw. The doctor’s opinion is that Nakalula has advanced syphilis. It is incurable. He gave her about 8 months to live at the most if she had proper food and was immediately hydrated. She also has a severe bacterial infection and that is why her ear is eaten up. She is too weak to move, so we purchased her a bed and we are trying to bring the I.V. fluids and antibiotics to her (if they can find her vain).
Her daughter is in a grave position as well. Grace is only 17 (we thought she was 20). They tested her and she is HIV Positive. But beyond that, she has malaria, anemia, tuberculosis, severe malnutrition, dehydration, and severe diarrhea. We took her to the hospital and paid for her to be treated for malaria and dehydration. But we will have to take her to another large organization that can provide free care for TB and AIDS. Grace seemed very happy for our help… but she was most happy for the food we brought her (chicken and matake).

Now I say all that to preface this comment… I hate being told NOT to touch someone who is suffering. Apparently, this stage of syphilis is highly contagious. Also, Tuberculosis is becoming a disease that I am being exposed to regularly. I told Ben that I thought I would end up with something eventually. He became very upset and told me I needed to take precautions… the doctor told us to have no skin to skin contact with Nakalula or her family.

What? No skin contact? That is so appalling to me. People need touch. It is horrible to imagine seeing Nakalula and not reaching out to hold her hand. She is afraid and lonely. And now that I am thinking of it…what other germs do I have on my hands?? I have touched so many people and most of them have never been to a doctor let alone been diagnosed. I am watching my fingers flying across this keypad and wondering, what tiny microbes are on them? I have washed my hands twice but I still am wondering if I am clean. And what about that hangnail I have? Is that considered an open sore? I just felt a tingling feeling in my thumb… is that a disease? I have so many thoughts racing through my mind. I am sick just seeing these poor people… God protect me from anything more than that.

So the question still stands, would you touch someone with a highly contagious disease? I argued with Ben that I would absolutely...I want to be the hands of healing to everyone I meet. But then he told me to think again…for our family’s sake. I don’t know what to do.

Please help us care for this family. Email Ben.pahlow@globalfamilyrescue.org with any financial assistance you can offer. This family needs a padlock for their door, a window repaired, a cement floor, and most important a LATRINE (bathroom) Thank you!


Nakalula laying on her floor mattress as Doctor arrived.

Lab assistant Simon trying to find her vein.
Simon finds the vein!!!
Grace gets checked by Dr. John...

Nakalula on her new bed!!!

Melody telling 9 year old daughter how proud she is of her taking care of her mommy.




2 comments:

rachelleelise said...

melody -
i can only say that GOD is definitely touching the peoples lives you are coming in contact with each day. even if you do or do not touch them physically. your love surrounds them and cradles them in a way they have never known. i am so proud of you. i love you! keep being HIS HANDS in their lives....
with much love, chelle

Anonymous said...

Hello ben and Mellody!

We, Ngirabatware Family, are so excited and proud of you. We'll never forget your HANDS IN OUR LIVES. May God bless and be with you!
We've got the opportunity of going on our University studies with your Hands! So glad of that!
Love you so much!
NGIRABATWARE FAMILY