Wednesday, September 28, 2005

6.22.2005


There is something so pleasant about children. No matter how many we see, their eyes and faces change even the foulest mood. This country has faced a lot of difficulties and those situations seem lost in the children here. They smile so easily and they play with total abandon. It is not the same as in America. No gadgets or technology. Children here play simply and with great ingenuity.

For instance when they follow us, and they always do, we turn around quickly and run towards them. While this may sound like a mean thing to do because we scare them a little, they absolutely love it. They scream, run and laugh all at the same time. It is one of the most fun non-language barrier games I have played with them. But besides that, they play with sticks and pieces of sugar cane leaves as well as wheels made out of wood to push around. They also make homemade pinwheels and I have even seen children play with an old tire.

They are also very serious about school. Today we visited a primary school that educated children from first to sixth grade. Children don’t come to school with brand new supplies to use; they make their own notebooks by cutting out newspaper and stapling some precious papers inside. This is what they use to write notes into. Those who have the privilege of going to school sit in classrooms three to a desk as a teacher teaches from one book per subject. The school’s generally have 1 or 2 dictionaries for over 15 classrooms. Teachers use chalk until it is completely gone. And the classroom can consist of over 60 students at a time. When the teacher asks a question that needs answering, children don’t politely raise their hands. The students stretch out their arms and snap their fingers together by loosening their wrists and flicking their hands at the same time. It is difficult to describe the sound in the classroom as they all whip their hands out and begin the snap-snap-snap noises to give an answer. They must stand before answering the question. It made me think even though the chalkboards are old, the windows are broken and the supplies are limited; the spirit of determination lives on.

All of these things make me think about my own wastefulness. When I have a tube of toothpaste that is getting even the slightest bit low, I get another. Don’t even get me started on paper… paper is just a throw away commodity. But are all of the things I have useful? Purposeful? NEEDED? I can think of about 10 hair and skin products I have under my sink at home that I have just tried and never used again. The items that they have are precious to them. No child ever leaves his books at school…they are not only wanted but needed! Students carry the little bag of books around like a coveted trophy. How many things do I have that are that precious to me? I can’t tell you the countless amount of things I have purchased that I had considered cheap enough to be thrown away if I didn’t like it.

Before we left, the children even did an improtu dance and song for us. Actually there were several. It was one of the most fabulous moments for me on this trip. Usually I am busy working on interviews and being one on one with the families but here I was able to just enjoy being present with them and watch them do what they do best, celebrate! At the end of the performance, over 300 students gathered close to the teacher and she clapped her hands three times and then they all shook their white palmed hands in the air while saying, “AAAAAhhhh!” It was kind of like saying a big goodbye from all of them at once. I learned later that what they were singing was, “We are so glad you visited us. We are the children of Gitumba and we are children of peace. We are God’s children and our generation is for peace. God’s kingdom is for love.” Honestly, when was the last time any school in America could say something as beautiful as that!?

For the last hoorah, Ben began a cat and mouse game with me. He would throw one of their homemade balls at me and I would try to catch it. When I did, he would run away and I would chase him through the crowd of students and teachers and throw it back at him (he often let me hit him to add to the show). Every time we would catch each other, they would laugh and laugh. I was very sneaky and Ben is difficult to hide among small children… so I think I can say I must have been the cat!

Tim got to meet with the pastor of the church nearby and he got a lot of insight for how the church is set up here. I think there are a lot of similarities between us. They have a time for “cells” or small groups. They meet in groups of 3 or 4 after church and pray together. They also have Sunday School for kids as well as women’s and men’s groups. Tim feels good about the meeting. He really likes the pastor.

It was a great day and we finished by going to a market for a few souvenirs. Everyone was pretty tired. Some of us feel a little sad because today was the last day we will have a chance to interact with the community we love in Gitumba. And also Vianney and Cyprien were unable to join us today. It was like a part of us was missing. We have come to love these guys. In fact, Cyprien and his wife came for dinner tonight and when they were leaving, Ben went over to hug him and literally picked him up off his feet (Cyprien is probably 5’ 9”)! Ben towers over him. Cyprien immediately responded by picking Ben up while squeezing him! We all burst out laughing as he breathlessly said, “Holy Big Man Batman”! What have we started here?

Tomorrow, we take a sabbatical and visit a national park with the whole team. I definitely need one. How do I know? Well, today Jake took a turn driving in the car and everyone was talking about his driving and I lost my temper. I just want you to know that even a missionary can be very rude! I actually told the whole cramped car load of ministry people to “shut up”! And not just once, I said it three times! Good grief! I don’t know what got into me! I apologized like 10 minutes up the road. But it took everything in Tim to not say something… We had a good laugh about it tonight at dinner.

Friday we have our large meeting with all the families. Saturday will be a time to just say a formal, “THANK YOU!” to the entire Rwandan staff. They are just doing amazing things here. Can’t wait to get home and see my kids. I missed them like crazy today.

Love and blessings,

Melody, Ben and Team

No comments: