Wednesday, September 28, 2005

6.17.2005

I have spent the last week agonizing over the pronunciations over the most simple words in Kinyarwandan; “Maraho” or Hello. “Amakuru” or How are you? “Marabaho” or Goodbye. The list goes on. But the funniest thing is happening as we spend time with Vianney, Cpyrien and Ndugu; they insist on learning slang. You can’t imagine how hysterical it is to have Cyprien, who seems to be the most interested in all words American, say, “Oh Geez!” Kim was the one that started the whole thing. She has the habit of saying those two words each time we drive into the villages through the mountains. There are no guard rails and the drop is straight down about 6,000 feet! It really can be very scary. Kim’s response has been pretty ingenious; she just requests a seat on the opposite side of the edge on the trips. It has lessened the regularity of her slang comment. However, we have had the best laughs as Cyprien has picked up where she left off. He has now learned the following common phrases; Wow! Holy Cow (pronounced Horry Cow)! Oh my gosh! It just makes all of us crack up. He is actually using them with perfect timing and that even makes it funnier. It is pretty hilarious that he knows more phrases in slang than any other English words.

We have also spent a lot of time sitting in the truck discussing Vianney’s interest in being a “cowboy”. Honestly, we have had the best times watching him put on Ben’s safari hat and pretending to ride a horse and throw a lasso. He is just a kid at heart and it makes all of us roll in our seats as he says with a smile, “Muze Cowboy”. (Elder who is a cowboy!) One day Vianney saw a rodeo picture on “Jacque’s” (Jake’s) shirt. He said, “What is this?” And Jake said, “A cowboy”. Vianney then replied “I want to be!” How can you not love these guys? We have spent hours imagining how fun it would be to send Vianney boots and a hat. We picture him wearing them every day, just like a little boy who won’t take off his favorite lucky underwear!

Today we sat back and relaxed a bit. We started out with the best intentions. I certainly felt fine when I woke up. But after we made a trip to the American Embassy (to register our presence…better late than never!), I just began to feel really nauseous. We were headed over to an internet café when I decide it best to make a trip back home first. I spent a few hours sleeping this afternoon and I was SO glad I did. I had plans to meet with an AIDS doctor, but rest took priority today. It is strange how my body is taking the rigorous schedule. There are days when I have eaten little and been fully functioning. And then there are others when I have eaten well but still feel like I am lagging. I think my body clock is trying to reset itself.

On a different note, I also spent time today discussing our roles as part of the GFR team. It felt good to make sure we were all on the same wave length. Things here move so fast and it takes extra effort to maintain good communication and focus. We usually spend an hour or so reviewing pictures from the day and I absolutely love looking through them because there are so many things I have missed because I am focused in on a particular person and lost sight of the throng. When we visited the village yesterday, I was totally unaware of the hundreds of people that had gathered outside to meet with us. When I saw the pictures today, I was totally blown away by the amount of hungry faces present. At one point I was aware of the noise level outside of the home, but I was really zeroed in on the individuals that were sitting across from me during interviews.

That has also brought me to somewhat of a dilemma. I realize that this trip is going to have a totally different spin on it. For instance, it is my job to insure that the families are progressing and moving in a positive direction. In order to do that, interviewing them and finding out what changes have occurred in their lives personally is tremendously important. We are hearing so many wonderful things. For instance, certain families have told us that all of the children were ill (and not going to survive) and that since they received sponsorship they have visited the doctor and are doing very well. Also, most families have said that they were without clothes and some were literally “naked” before GFR. And now they are dressed and can rejoin society. That is what is going on here! It is so sad to know that there are families that are literally robbed of their humanity in this way. I am so happy for all of the wonderful changes. Ndugu, our director, was listening to me talk about the changes in the people sponsored. I was saying that I knew of many people who were receiving the benefits of GFR in the village. For instance, families give away their first born animals to someone needy. Or they hire someone to assist them in building their new homes or things of that nature, like domino’s falling. But Ndugu said it was more like an explosion! It is giving so many people the ability to do more, farm more, bargain more, purchase more, plan more….

But I get concerned when I see whole villages coming out to us seeking assistance because I know God has called us to 220 specific families first. That is the focus. And it is kind of strange to have a wall up inside. I don’t like feeling like I have to be removed from some of the need. The need is what called us to this ministry. But I am trying to remain aware that as I stick to God’s plan, He will see to helping others through us. But the need is so great and I feel impatient. I also feel some guilt for having to maintain this focus. I don’t know, I think I just feel a little more like an NGO President than a missionary. Relief work is just that, relief. But out there somewhere is someone making it run…an administrator. Again, I start to say to God, “Hey, I didn’t sign up for this.” But if you have a heart to bring help, I am finding you also must have a heart to do things you don’t really like to do sometimes.

Anyway, I feel better after the rest I had today. And Ben spent a lot of time training all the staff on computers, cameras, printer, etc. Please pray for our internet situation. It has become a huge obstacle for us. That is so vital for our ability to work with Rwanda. It needs to run smoothly. And I just feel like throwing this stupid phone cord out the window!

We had a chance to talk to all of our kids last night and today too. A total miracle! I just feel like a new person because I heard their voices. They are doing so well. Praise God.

Love

Melody, Ben and Team

No comments: