Wednesday, September 28, 2005

6.20.2005


There is nothing truly profound I need to say. I made it through today and that is all that matters. I slept late and dragged myself from the bed. I didn’t think I was going to go to the orphan’s home today but I did. I was able to assist. I walked to an unsponsored widow’s home (named Serefina) afterwards and that pretty much was the maximum amount I could take in. The pictures will explain themselves.

Somehow I also managed to visit the AIDS clinic today. They offered their services to us as a whole organization. They can offer us free care and medication for those infected. It will be a huge benefit to our families. People’s lives will be saved.

I cried today. I just flat out laid in the bed tonight and balled. It is just too much. So much to do and people need help now. I just can’t get the hundreds of women and children in Serafina’s situation out of my head…

When we were leaving I called her down to the car. We had some clothing for her children and she literally shook with joy in receiving them. How in the world can this be? She has rags and a hut the size of my bathroom to house her 5 children. It is as dark as midnight inside. Her husband was killed in the genocide. Her 6 person family eats only 2 kilos of beans a day. What does she have to live for? What does she think of us?

I just have too much to take in. Tonight I am thanking God that I have a team of people around me that have been so amazingly supportive and wonderful. When I was crying, Angela and Ben just rubbed my back. And then Tim read me a little of his personal journal to encourage me. It really helped me to just cry it out. I felt overwhelmed and it was understood. I know they are all going through it too.

It feels so good to not be alone. And I realize that there are many back home praying for me too. What would I do without all those prayers?

OK, I’m done.

Love you all,

Melody, Ben and Team

p.s. Hi! Ben here. I wish you all were here. It is amazing to have other friends touch, feel, and see with their own eyes what Melody and I have seen. What a team we have here. You should have seen the way they worked at the orphan home. We were all part of the up hill brick assembly line, Jake, Brian, and Tim carried water up hill, Kim snapped and video’d till she dropped.

Ben and Melody, Jake and Angela visited a Tim and Stephanie Wolf Kingdom Assignment Widow…the pictures say a lot. Her name was Serafina. Her home was less than a shack; it was a mud hole, no husband, and 5 kids. Jake and I both actually kissed her soft cheek when we left. God literally told me to have Cyprien give her one month sponsorship right there, on the spot… She STILL is not sponsored…just $59.00 per month would give her so much hope, and very possibly save her children’s lives. Who will step up and help us help her?

Love, Ben

No comments: