Sunday, June 26, 2011

Life is about letting go of the smaller stuff

Sometimes I feel so incapable of dealing with suffering here.  When God allows me just a sample of what the people here deal with I feel like I am going to break down.  For instance, no power cuts me off from my children, family and friends in America but the people of Uganda loose their children in birth and to illness regularly.  Also, Mike and Hope adopted two dying puppies that had an infestation of worms, ticks and fleas which caused our whole family to have to go through de-worming.  Orphans and widows in Uganda constantly deal with bugs and unsanitary conditions.  It is difficulties like these that cause me my greatest moments of weakness: loss of contact, lack of electrical power, unclean water, bugs and poor food options can make me weak in the knees.  So why does God have me here when these things are such a regular occurrence here?

Today I visited the only church in a small village in Mukono.  Pastor Dan has a church with no walls and no roof.  He ministers to his neighbors by praying for them and offering 17 orphans assistance for school.  It is not easy for him or his wife Susan.

Talking to Pastor Dan about the Orphans

Pastor Dan introduced his family to us and said that his second son was a twin.  His brother died shortly after his birth.  He said it pained him to talk about it. While he was caring for these other orphans, he looses a child but maintains support for the orphans even while his wife is suffering malaria after giving birth.  Who does that?  This man is committed to taking care of the little ones God put around him no matter what.  It is inspirational.  Even this very Sunday morning at 2:00 am, Pastor Dan had to pray for his neighbor who watched their 6 year old son die of anemia.  The burial had already taken place by the time I arrived at the church. 

Me feeding one of the Sick Orphans

I cried at the church service because I missed Amber and Nathan so much.  They are at home in America and I am so far from them.  But I know that I will have an opportunity to see them again... these lovely people will never get to see their sons, daughters, mothers or fathers; not until they die at least.  It is an ongoing topic among the people in the village.   They often talk about life as a GIFT.  Every breath is precious and valuable.  

Laughing with the Widows and Orphans

I love being with these people.  I love feeling that my life is more than just getting up and going about my business.  Life is about being COMPLETELY alive.  God has given me an opportunity to help others in great need and I won't waste it.  I am trying to get over all the little things like bugs and enjoy the big things like God, family, health and friendships. Tomorrow I will be running again and now I am thinking about having to jog through human, goat and cow manure.  God help me remember to enjoy that I am capable of running instead of focusing on the yucky part of it!  Ugh... this is harder than I thought it would be!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blown away by the precious lives you are being blessed to get to meet and their joy in the midst of so much pain. I love what God is doing in your heart and life. Praying He continues to draw you near to Him thru this experience. So proud of you and love you so very much!

Love,
Chelle

Ben Pahlow said...

I love your heart. God is stretching you and growing you so amazingly. I am proud to know you, and serve beside you. You are beautiful.