Wednesday, June 15, 2011

An Acholi Tribal Woman

I am sitting under the mosquito net trying to ignore my drooping eyelids.  I want to say a little about my experiences so far in Kampala Uganda since my arrival 3 days ago.Here are a few words to describe Kampala today: traffic, dust, diesel fumes, body odor, human excrement in the streets and women sitting on the ground with huddled children who are too poor and broken to stand up and beg. 

We went to Nakasaro (could be spelled incorrectly) which is called "the basket".  It is the Ugandan market in Kampala that is completely Ugandan owned.  Most of the larger stores here are owned by foreigners. On the upside if you shop at Nakasaro you benefit the Ugandans directly.  On the downside you have to walk through some of the worst third world conditions I have ever experienced.  There were no "muzungus" (white people) for 8 city blocks which is rare for Kampala.

The little shops in Nakasaro are not even inches apart.  In every corner and in every space are boxed items pouring out into the street.  Nothing seems organized to me but I am sure the Ugandans know what sells best.  Whole mangoes, telephones, wood shelves, old shoes, hair nets, used baby clothes and even women selling their bodies abound in Nakasaro. 

It was when we were walking through the streets that I saw a woman sitting with a child on her lap.  She wasn't begging.  She looked tired but not helpless.  She had ragged clothes on and the child had on nothing but a scrap of material around the waist.  Above the woman's eyebrows were tattooed raised markings.  She was from the Acholi tribe which is in Northern Uganda.  That tribe has experienced incredible difficulties in the recent years.  Her face was static... no recognition - only alertness when I caught her eyes.  What little I had in my pocket I gave to her and it was then that the woman smiled.  She had most of her teeth and showed me each one.  When I said "God bless you" she leaned forward as if to remove the space between us.  I put my hand on her back and she leaned her child towards me.  The baby must have been only 6 months old.  I think she wanted me to bless the baby as well.  With no other words spoken between us I said a silent prayer of blessing on the tiny baby.  But I couldn't help thinking that there is so much more that needs to be done... needs to be conveyed.  I guess every time I have even a quick opportunity I want to say "you are significant and God loves you". 

I want to do more, be more and act more lovingly.  I want to be less selfish and more tender.  I want to be a better person today than I was yesterday.

Here is a picture of me getting ready to write my blog

No comments: