Tuesday, June 24, 2008

A Rose Among Thorns


There is little I can say to explain the devastation of a woman alone here.  I have seen a lot of women who could barely look me in the eyes… but Rose takes the cake.  I met her in a small town near at the Kenyan border.  

Rose has four children.  The oldest is 14.  When I was introduced to Rose her large brown eyes stayed fixed on my feet.  I asked the translator to have her look at me.  She glanced up and looked away.  It was then that I was told Raymond, one of our field officers, had been taking care of this family.  He and his wife have 7 children of their own and they still took Rose in.  For that, Rose is lucky.  She is extremely vulnerable in her position and if she is not cared for soon, she will need to prostitute herself in order to feed her children.  You see, Rose’s husband left her alone and then at her lowest point, her small house burnt down.  She is absolutely destitute and I can’t say how terribly desperate I am to help her.

I am going to be blunt here.  Rose needs sponsorship.  But more than that, she needs a home. These children need a place to rest their heads.  Rose needs to know that she can close a door and lock away all the fears she has now.  Is there anyone that can help?  A house costs $2800 in total.  That includes a brick home, windows, and doors.  But giving Rose and her children this gift would be priceless.  Imagine yourself in this situation.  It is impossible to imagine it for myself.

There are others needing sponsorship as well.  This couple is caring for their grandchildren when all their children died of AIDS.  The children aren’t eating much and need food.  Please consider helping them

If you can offer any help, please email me at melody@globalfamilyrescue.org  

No comments: