Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Boy Who Inspired GFR Uganda

Ben and Melody with Humprey and his family
It has been over a year since I met with Humphrey in Uganda. Do you remember the story? Humphrey is the 17 year old boy I met last year with 4 brothers and 1 sister. His parents had both died of Aids. One he had just buried and the funeral pyre was still standing. It was when I met him on June 14th of last year that I knew GFR was going to expand globally into this country. I will never forget the stoney face that I saw and the lack of emotion he expressed when I visited him. I could see the weight of the world resting on his shoulders. It was more than I could stand and I burst into tears.

Melody crying with Humprey last June

We went to visit the village Humphrey lives in and I didn’t see him when we gathered the families. I kept asking, “Where is Humphrey?” The ceremony began after some of the cheering died down. I was quietly sitting among the widows and suddenly he made his entrance in the back. Without any invitation, I got up and walked straight over to him. I reached out to hug him and I briefly saw the shocked look he made. Apparently Humphrey had no idea how much his story impacted me. I laugh now to think about it. This poor boy must have been completely embarrassed with the amount of attention I was paying him!

We had an opportunity to go back to his compound and spend some time finding out what has changed for him.
Melody interviewing Humphrey
I asked him lots of questions about his life now; eating (twice a day at least), sleeping (bed and mattresses), health (everyone is well including the youngest boy I was so concerned about last year), housing (a new hut for the children), livestock (a farm of goats and chickens), etc. His life has changed immensely. He was excited to point out his new cow and bicycle as well.
Humphrey's Cow in the background


Humphrey's Bike...how many kids can you fit on this???
He seemed reserved though. It seemed that he was a bit quiet for my taste. Usually families are more exuberant. It wasn’t until we brought out the soccer ball that I realized the problem with my thinking….


Humphrey playing soccer next to his parents graves

Humphrey began to chase the ball around and even seemed to forget that we were there. “Duh!”, I thought. This is a boy I am dealing with! I sometimes treat Humphrey like he is a man with all the responsibility of one. And while that is true… I have forgotten that this is a boy full of spirit and he needs to lay down those burdens too. The picture of Humphrey now says is all!


Humphrey June 2008

No comments: