Monday, August 27, 2007

Comparison?


This is Kansu (a widow) with her family

I took a walk this morning. I haven't done that in a while. I think living in Africa year after year has got me thinking today that there really is no comparison with it here. I tried to picture myself in Africa on my walk. I even tried to imagine Humprey (one of the orphans I met) walking with me. What would he think?

As I walked down my subdivision street, I looked at the clean streets and space between the houses and thought, "Not a speck of garbage! Where does it all go? And who cleans this?" I also glanced over at the small lake we have and realized that no one was collecting water or washing in it. "What a waste of water! Shouldn't someone be using it?" My mind can't conceive of the endless supply. Then the most amazing sight of all was a water sprinkler system coming out of the ground and spraying clean water on the grass. Rain coming from the ground? I know my African friends would be astonished. It isn't for cooking or cleaning, it is for grass? Who cares if the grass suffers when children are dying for a sip of something wet?

It frustrates me that I can not communicate the level of suffering in Africa to Americans. There is no way for me to compare it to our lives. Every turn of the corner for them represents disease, death or danger; walking to school, drinking water, mosquitoes, marriage, etc. Nothing is without potential consequences, especially for women and children who have less protection.

I am so blessed to live here. But I would be remiss to think that the world doesn't need to share my blessings. It has become my life's work to share the burden of the women and children of Africa. But I can not do it without the willing generosity of others. This week I sent out 120 families to donors and I want to say THANK YOU for your dedication to transforming the world one family at a time. You are my heroes. Even without seeing it with your own eyes, you care so deeply that you are moved to action. My heart is full knowing that even without the exact words to communicate it, the burden is shared by you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Melody,
That was well written. I have not been to Africa, but after reading your blog for the last couple of years, I feel convicted about all we have here. We are called to share our resources with those who have none.
Lynne R.