Friday, August 03, 2007

10 hours and counting...

This is so funny, I am sitting in Kampala right now listening to my teenage daughter and my husband arguing over hanging out with teenage boys… no matter where we are in the world, I guess this is bound to happen. How strange that my mind is focusing on AIDS treatments and community projects one minute and then managing sibling rivalry and sickness in our own family the next. It feels surreal to be a world crisis worker one minute and then mom the next.

Yesterday was our last opportunity to be in the field. Next door there is a slum that we have visited often. Our family feels strongly attached to one boy named Joseph. He is just precious. His smile is so catching. Anyway, Michael wanted to give some clothes and things to him and we decided to take some of the items the team left to the families there as well. I am attaching some great photos. I love that in this scenario I was able to mold myself into both worker and mother at the same time.

The children have learned so much about outreach and culture. It has enriched them… even tonight Nate made us stop on the road home when he saw a poor woman and her baby sitting on the street. He said, “Dad, stop! We have to do something for that lady. She is all alone without a husband. Can we help her please?” Ben pulled over and gave her some of our “going home” money, but he asked Nate to approach her himself with the gift. He gave it to her so sweetly. I wish you could have seen it. She was so happy and so was I. My son was is the hero I have always wanted to be. Actually, all of my children are. Amber has turned into the most wonderfully hospitable lady… Nathan is quietly on task and turning into the man I hoped he would be… Mike is unbelievably generous and in touch with the people… and Hope is so attached to our new friends here that she has cried for hours today.

I think, even with a fever and throat infection (which I thankfully when to the doctor for today!), I am actually figuring out how to be both a full time citizen of the world and mother extraordinaire! I am so grateful tonight. Grateful for medicine that is available and I can afford, grateful for my job and the ability to GIVE, grateful for my beautiful children and husband (who keeps me going), grateful for friends and so much more. I am so blessed!

No comments: