Friday, July 13, 2007

William Wallace Wanna Be!

It has been a while since I wrote. Tonight I began thinking about walking in downtown Naperville. I imagined it so clearly that I saw people eating at “Lou Malnati’s” pizza place. Somehow I think that if I only spent a 3 week trip here, I would always be living too close to home. Now I am so close to leaving Uganda with only 18 days left that I am having daydreams. It doesn’t surprise me that in my imagination food is nearby!

We have done training today for the teams and caseworkers. I am really excited that we have the opportunity to train a team from the beginning. Everyone is getting a clear picture of what our project is about. I remember standing up at one point and saying, “God has answered your prayers to help the poor in your communities. GFR will tell your stories to the world, and the world will respond.” All 20 of them clapped.

When I sat down I realized I had made these people a promise and it is one I intend to keep. How can I not tell the story of those suffering when I know we can help? It is a privilege to shoulder the burden…

I also spoke with a woman’s group today (King’s Daughters – a college ministry). I shared my testimony of personal healing and it was met with a good response. I never even really know what I will say before I speak… I just ask God to give me His words. Well, today Ben had written me a note that really touched me and I shared his words which I believe are the words God has for all of us:

“Melody, just as Queen Esther spoke a message to her own people, you are speaking one over these women, FREEDOM and DIGNITY.”

Amen. That is what I pray I communicate to every woman I know and meet. FREEDOM! DIGNITY! It kind of reminds me of Mel Gibson shouting his last words as William Wallace in Braveheart! “FREEEEEEEDOOOOOOM”! I guess I am a warrior too.

No comments: