Saturday, July 14, 2007

Whew... finished the training

Well, the training is finished and we are on our way. It was so exciting to see everyone get excited about what is about to happen in their villages. I had one of our new caseworkers, a young man named Gato, come up to me afterwards and say, “Mommy, thank you for coming. I have been wanting to help the people so much and I have been suffering because I could not. Now I know we can finally do something.” (By the way… Mommy is the way you would address a married woman you respect!)

I have missed being in the village. While we have been putting together our organization, we spend a lot of time in the capital city. It was good to have the voices of the villages with me today. We had a cook make “Matoke” (matoe-key) for them. It is an unripe green banana dish that is cooked. I hear that Ugandan’s don’t feel like they have eaten until they had some Matoke! Our new team ate well, trained well and I know they are excited for the new changes that will happen soon.

I am also excited about the team coming on Thursday. I think someone is brining double-stuff Oreo’s! OH! I can’t wait. Why does everything have to come down to food with me?? But I can’t wait to start working on a house for my friend Cece on Friday. We are tearing down her old house and building her a new one and the whole team will help. We are also going to go into West Uganda for some family visits and projects too. I wonder what they will think of this country?

No comments: