Saturday, July 07, 2007

Jaimie left

I feel empty. Jaimie left this morning. The room where she stayed seems so sparse. All of her shoes aren’t scattered on the floor. I can’t hear the familiar clip-clop of her house-shoes as she shuffles through the house. I already miss her laugh. Whenever I felt sad, she would comfort me in her quiet way; sometimes she would play with my hair, or hold my hand and then there was times she would just ask me if I wanted to talk. She is a good listener. She had some amazing experiences here and I am glad that she came. I know it changed her life.

And now I am imagining her on a plane flying home and I am wondering if she is okay. It so funny! We spend a lot of time together because she lives with us in the states. It just seems like part of our family is missing when she is absent.

I have realized how much my thinking has changed since I have arrived in Uganda. Africa brings people together. Relationships are so important here. That is the wealth of Africa, people you love. You learn to cling to your faith and friends here. And I am glad that I had the opportunity to lean on Jaimie. She is a faithful friend and I will miss her! How interesting that sometimes America’s poverty is the wealth of Africa.

No comments: