Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Kids make a difference

There are few things more inspiring then children making a difference in the world. GFR has experienced this several ways. Two young children we know donated their piggy bank money for shoes and a mattress for their families in Rwanda. They were motivated simply by the photos of their families.

Then Community Christian Church’s Kids City has single handedly donated over $6000 for 3 homes to be built for orphans in Rwanda. These are kids ages Kindergarten to Fifth Grade. It is something that I think we as adults need to aspire to be; to be generous with our pennies and quarters each week faithfully.

And again this week we had an opportunity to visit with a High School Youth Group from Harvest Baptist Church. Ben and I were able to speak during a retreat they were having. I have to say, it was a very good group. They were asked to pray out loud and the prayers I heard were so sincere and heartfelt. Their hearts were tender to the message of poverty in Rwanda. This group has something special. TRULY! I can’t wait to see how God uses them in the future. Good job Pastor Matt!

As a group, they decided to sponsor an orphan family in Rwanda. I know that these orphans who are the same age as the high-schoolers and are without a home or piece of land will be blessed to know that their own peers are caring for them as guardians. WOW! What a powerful message of hope.

We were glad to be a part of motivating this great group of high-schoolers. I can’t wait to see them again!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ben & Melody,

You guys amaze me. I just stumbled upon your blogs and I am blessed. I am so happy that you have found your true calling and are have a global impact!

Ben I hope you have fully recovered from your heart attack. I feel somewhat responsible. When we first met, about 8 years ago at BIP I took you to lunch at Gold Coast Dogs. I'm pretty sure it's the cheese fries that you are paying for now!

scarr

ps how do I sponsor child?