Sunday, January 14, 2007

Kansas is flat!














There really isn't a lot to see in Kansas. Did you know that? We had to drive over 2 hours to find a Target. And I thought Rwanda was desolate! I am grinning right now thinking about what Chris Miller is thinking about these comments! But before I go on, let me introduce to you First Baptist Church of Liberal, Kansas.

Besides having lots of cattle, Kansas has lovely people. We were welcomed warmly by the congregation in Kansas today. We were introduced to them through Layne and Joanne Glunt (one of our faithful family sponsors in Plainfield). Layne and Joanne have parents that attend here in Kansas and we were able to talk to their church today about our ministry. We ate a wonderful meal they had prepared (with fantastic brownies!), and told them about ourselves and GFR.



First Baptist has been supporting Silas and his family in Rwanda, as well as supporting our missionary staff. We were there to deliver a special message from Silas. He wrote a letter to thank them for their love and support. I was very moved by the letter because he said he is handicapped and had been struggling to feed his family but after he received the sponsorship he knew his family was going to be ok. Silas's family is going through a major transformation thanks to this church.








But I guess I can't help but talk about our 19 passenger plane that we flew in from Kansas City to Garden City. I mean, it had propellers!!! I am thinking right about now there are some pilots out there reading this and thinking, "what is the big deal?" I will tell you what! This thing was like a tin can on wheels! I swear the thing opened up at one point because I kept hearing air escaping! There was a SNOW and ICE storm going on! And the whirring of the propellers was so loud that I had to scream at Ben who was only 9 inches away.... ACROSS THE AISLE! The best part was seeing that we were the only ones on the plane with a 20 year old pilot! How did I order this on Priceline? I didn't know you could private charter a plane through that! I saw that it was "United Airways Express".... but sheesh! I was thinking of United's "Ted" planes!

I tell you what, you couldn't have convinced me that this was the kind of life I would lead 5 years ago. Everytime I think about how God keeps asking me to do crazy things, I want to do more! I used to shrink away from challenges and new experiences, but I am starting to look forward to them. As I experience new things, I begin to panic... my mind races with the thoughts of risk and "what if"? Things like, "What if Ben has another heart attack? What if I never see my kids again? What if I can't find the church?" There are so many questions, but somehow through all of it, I hear God say, "Trust Me." He is always asking me to stretch my faith and each time He does, I have to think back to how He has come through for me the last time.

Also, in telling our story of starting GFR, I was reminded today about where I have been and how far I have come. Every challenge in my life has led me to this ministry today. And I am so glad that God was preparing me through those times. I am a sinner that God has chosen to risk His reputation on. WOW! I can't believe that God wants to use me just where I am at... I keep thinking, "What is next!?" (Dave Ferguson would be so proud!) Because after being here today I know that God has more to do through me. I keep taking baby steps and He keeps leading the way.

No comments: