Sunday, June 09, 2013

I feel.... so small

It is customary to greet a church with "Hallelujah!"

So I pretty much feel heavy hearted right now.  I am doing a lot of heavy sighing.  I am trying to put into words something that is somewhat complex because, well let’s face it: I am complex.

We spent all day doing what we do: speaking at church, meeting with individual families, trying to avoid food poisoning because the whole community cooked for us (the pumpkin was good though), fighting against the worst roads, suffering extreme exhaustion and fear of cockroaches (of which continue to plague me), crying over triumphs, laughing over getting lost in the bush and using pit latrines and the last straw – getting bit by mosquitoes without anti-malaria meds as well as no electricity for a hot shower.  I have seen the poorest widows, the blind, lame and countless orphans dance with joy over a meal filled with rice and beans when I myself struggle with a fierce desire for meat… something our Ugandan families never taste until they are over the age of 18 if they have survived that long.  Today I have battled my own demons of having WANTS when those I see here work 12 hours a day for NEEDS: Survival at the top of their list and comfort at the top of mine.
Even when I walked into a store later this evening I cried at the options of 10 crackers when just outside those doors children were starving.  I have SO much to choose from and they just want a chance to live. 

Crying again.  Can’t help it.  I am burdened and reminded that the needs are many… so many.  I need to center myself in God’s sovereignty and remember He is over it all, and trust.  I often quote Mother Teresa when I feel this way, “If you can’t help the world, just help one.”


Help one.  Help one.  Help another one.  Each one is precious in God’s sight.  

 Dancing in church is expected!

 Ummm... ya - like I said, pretty much a problem in the intestinal area!

One of our newer sponsored families! Thank you Hensons! 

This is just not as easy as it looks! 

 Can't even see in the sunshine - Josephine is used to it!

Whenever I speak in church I always tell stories and can't help but walk into the crowd.  
African's LOVE stories but who knows how annoyed they get when I am up close!

Thanks to a wonderful American grandmother - we gave out HAND MADE quilts to Solange and her mother who had NO sheets or mattresses.  They will be warm tonight for the first time in years :)


No comments: