Friday, June 07, 2013

Hope bigger than fear

We traveled a long way and slept only 4 broken hours during a 30 hour plane journey.  We drove an additional hour to a hostel to drop our luggage and then rested for 2 more.  We then twisted and turned for 3 hours in a car to get to Mukono village.  It was a wonderful day filled with being reunited with widows, orphans and widowers that have been thriving through our family sponsorship program.

Sometimes when faced with absolute destitution and poverty, I think to myself, “What could I possibly do to make a difference here?”  I sometimes struggle to look poverty in the face.  Maybe it is a knee jerk reaction to pain that is visibly over someone.





I especially will not forget the day I met Josephine in 2011 and saw how she struggled to survive in the bush with her children.  Abandoned and neglected she was 8 months pregnant when I last saw her.  Even after one of her precious little ones passed away earlier this year, she never has given up.  She now has a healthy young baby girl named Robina and all of the children are thriving.  I cried like a baby when I saw her (as you can tell)!

Today I remembered the courage of daring to believe that God could use me and others to make a difference.  I saw the fruits of courage and belief in something bigger than myself.  Today I remembered hope.



Josephine gives me a generous gift! Eight beautiful eggs from her chickens!






Nora is a widow waiting for sponsorship for herself and 3 sons.   Her family is still waiting for a chance at new life just like Josephine.  Please consider our 3 year sponsorship program to create self sufficiency.  Contact me at melody@pahlow.com for more details. Today our organization made sure she could remain in her broken down house for 2 months while we trust God for a donor.  


Solange is taking care of her mother in a tiny rented shack. We provided them with much needed food.



Above is a picture of the home we are building for 4 orphans whose mother was killed by their father and left with a tiny bed and kitchen as you see below.  Imagine a 9 year old child caring for 3 other babies in this grim situation!  




No comments: