Friday, March 11, 2011

Till We Have Faces

Have you read the C.S. Lewis Book, Till We Have Faces?  Amazing story.  Orual the eldest sister complains to the Gods of the cruel things that have happened to her: "Perhaps the wise men will know whether my complaint is right..." (Chapter 1)

Isn't it true that we most often blame God when our circumstances bring us great pain?  We often think that God is angry with us and we can't find our footing in life.  I feel the most frustrated when people hurt around me.  Just like Orual whose own suggestion to her beautiful sister Psyche cost her dearly, I cling to what I have to see with my own eyes instead of what I can see with my heart. 

I decided today that instead of seeing pain, I want to see beauty... not hiding my face from horror but literally seeing the glory that is coming through it.  If I had that kind of faith I would be a new person.  It is like the verses in Romans 5 that says, "We rejoice in suffering because it produces endurances and then strength of character which leads to hope".  I don't mean that I want to suffer but when I do, I want to see it as an opportunity to look at my life in a fresh way. 

I think it is more than ok to do what Orual did and ask questions of God.  But if all she ever did was say, "You hurt me God" than she missed the point.  Everyone of us can be kinder... more understanding; even the most broken of us and honestly, the nicest people I have met have usually suffered the most.

God help me be like Orual and ask you questions... but also help me be full of grace to see how I may be lovely in my brokeness.

No comments: