Friday, September 07, 2007

The funeral


The dead are brought back to the house to prepare the body.
Here is Grace in her home on the floor covered by a bed sheet we had bought her when we were there.

Grace looks asleep.



Magdalene, 10 years old, and the head of the family.


The coffin being laid in the ground with a hole dug and bricks laid.
This funeral costs more than it would cost to repair the house they live in.


Cement is poured over the coffin.


I asked my friend to go to Grace's funeral and tell the family that I love them. It was a tough day for everyone there. Especially Magdalene. The 10 year old girl, now in charge of the family, cried her eyes out as the service was conducted. She is heart broken and feels alone. Magdalene now has to watch her own mother die as well. I was told that each night Magdalene barely sleeps while she holds up a candle to her mothers parched lips to see if she is still breathing. It is hard for me to believe that Nakalula who is age 50 and only 40 lbs. outlasted a vibrant 17 year old. I guess that is the difference between syphilis and AIDS.

I am attaching the pictures of the funeral. Please say a prayer for Nakalula and Magdalene and the whole family.

1 comment:

Jaimie's Life Adventures said...

Seeing these pictures makes this so real to me now. I t makes my heart sick seeing Magdalene cry like that. My heart hurts so much for this family. I miss Grace, for her babies sake. For what her little sister will have to experience now and even though I believe she is no longer suffering, people close to her are. That is really heart breaking.