Thursday, November 16, 2006

Another trip to the hospital




Ok, we went back to Edwards Hospital today. It was a tough way to wake up. Ben walked up quietly behind me and said, "My chest hurts." I didn't have time to react in a panic. I just started pulling things together and gave him an insulin shot before we got in the car. He WANTED to go to the hospital. That was the scary part. Not at all like Ben. But things have changed and we both take this very seriously.

Back on morphine, nitroglycerin, heprin... two more I.V.'s. Cat scan, chest xray, blood draws, EKG, ECG, Blood pressure going off every 2 minutes... Nothing was conclusive. So the cardiologist says, "You are too young to take chances. I am going back in to see the arteries again."

Turns out the stints are still in place and the blood is getting to the right places... but the blood pumping into his arteries are "sluggish" which can cause residual heart pain. Also, one particular med was slowing down the pumping a little too much. Endothelial Dysfunction...

Whatever! Bottom line is that he had another catheter inserted into his other groin to get to his heart. He absolutely pushed through all the necessary hurdles to get out of the hospital tonight... and here we are again, at home, watching Oprah. I feel like the world is spinning and we are on it for the ride.

It never ceases to amaze me how Ben rebounds from this stuff. He is the strongest person I have ever met. Just 6 hours ago he was getting his heart probed and now he is sitting on that same couch he was on last night and asking me, "Are you done with that blog yet"? LOL! The first thing he did was look at his email to see what new people were interested in sponsoring a family in Rwanda. He loves it... he lives for seeing other people have a full life. And here he is, living the fullest one himself.

I was amazed to see that after surgery the first person to drop by was Vlad (And by the way he is not Russian! He is Chinese and Philippino) ... the nurse that Ben had last weekend for three nights straight. Vlad brought in his two adorable boys to visit. And isn't that SO like Ben?? What other person can make that kind of impression? He is a magnet for people! The thing that makes me absolutely crazy is that Ben cares so deeply for EVERY person he encounters in his life. How can he do that and not get overwhelmed? Sheesh! But seriously, Vlad is Ben's new best bud and it is fun to see new relationships developing out of such a scary situation.

So here I sit, typing away and I could be sleeping... but I know that everyone and his brother will be wondering how my best friend is doing! So now you know! He is well. He is determined to adjust to the new diet and exercise as well as handle all the needles because he loves us so much. And we can't help but love him back!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Ben And Melody,
So glad to hear you are on the mend. I only met you once, at the Rwanda talk at North Central College,but Ben does have that ability to make you feel like you've known him forever. It sounds like Ben has the same ability that Brother Lawrence did, of practicing the presence of God moment by moment. You are in my prayers.
Lynne Ross

Liz Pinckert said...

Ben and Melody, you guys have been on my mind so much lately and in my prayers...(and in my dreams, but I'll spare you the details). I'm glad you are doing better Ben!!Take care and God Bless!!
Liz Pinckert