Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Baby Peter

Peter in the Bible was the "rock that the church was built upon" (Matthew 16:18).  Whenever I hear that name I think of strength and I often identify with Peter's stubborness and passion. This Sunday in Gayaza Village, I met a young woman named Ruth.  Her baby's name is Peter.  He has tuberculosis.

Peter is 6 months old.  He is less than 7 pounds.  He is dying.

Peter was so thin that his arm was as big as Ben's finger.

I honestly can not imagine how this little boy has fought so hard to live for these 6 months.  He can barely eat and his lungs are enlarged and filled with fluid.  He is a fighter.  His name suits him.  I see such resilience in this little boy.  These last two days I think of Peter constantly.  If you saw his beautiful face, you would too.


With his life hanging in the balance, we admitted Peter into a hospital that specializes in tuberculosis.  He is currently in Pediatric Intensive Care which in Africa means that have 1 nurse to every 50 people versus the normal 300.  He is on I.V. and has started his 6 months regimine of antibiotics to cure his tuberculosis.  He also had malaria and is being treated for that as well.

Every dose of his treatment is critical.  I am praying that there are no shortages of the antibiotics as there were in 2009.  If you have a heart to help this family and would like to donate to them specifically, please email me at melody@pahlow.com and I will tell you how.  God bless Peter... the rock.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Melody,Convey our heartfelt greetings to Uncle Ben. We are praying for him that the God of Love will continue to minister to his heart every day with healing and grace for the true ministry of reconciliation through the living word of our father and lord jesus christ. God Bless.... Prince