Thursday, May 18, 2006

What does peace look like?

There are certain things that bring me comfort; the sound of my daughter's sleeping music floating up through the air vents, the sterility of a clean house, my children laughing hysterically at Tom Hanks monologue with Shelly Long in the movie "Money Pit". I can hear it now, Walter is in the floor of the den crying out... "I am so glad you are here! I have been here so long I have been halucinating! For a minute there I thought I saw the Care Bears... and then farm animals..." The kids rewind it over and over and laugh until they cry. But, I also find comfort in being with my small group at church, and getting emails from friends that just say "hi". However today I found comfort in something very unexpected. Almost strange!

Did you get an opportunity to watch American Inventor on ABC? I haven't watched the series. Amber has been keeping me up to date on the inventions and what seemed promising. Tonight I watched the finale and honestly, I cried. I feel strangely connected, as I suspect many Americans do, with Janusz Liberkowski. Janusz (pronounced Ya-noosh) is a Polish immigrant who lost his oldest daughter in a car crash because of a faulty car seat. He developed a new type of seat to protect other children. What so struck me with this man was his ease and manner of being. He seemed a truly happy person who was grateful for the opportunity, of course, but more than that, he seemed content. I have never seen a man who looked so close to tears of sadness and yet deep seated joy lurked in those smiling blue eyes as well. I realize now what it is that drew me to Janusz... it was his similarity to the people of Rwanda. I felt comforted by witnessing his life and vision, because it is the same triumph that is unfolding each day in Byumba Province, Rwanda!

Each time I am close to the people we serve there, I see both sadness and joy. It is more profound then what I understand in my life. Afterall I have seen, I admit that I spend more time thinking about clothing, malls and food than even my God who provided it all. And yet, the simple truth is that there is so much happiness in things deeper than our American materialism, goals for success and endless searches for "something more than this". When even in the depths of despair through loss of family, prostitution, homelessness, impending death from AIDS as a result of rape... the sadness that lingers in the eyes of our families can not be hidden from me. And also, joy embraces me from the same pair of yellowed eyes! They are content to eat and live free from worry about tomorrows harvest or famine... they are building lives of wholeness; spiritually, physically and mentally. And really, I can not relate to that! But I can feel some inkling of it... yes, I feel it in the core of my heart. I will never know those sorrows they have, but I can watch them transcend all of it to be someone who knows peace through poverty and provision.

My heart is full tonight. It is as close as I can be to Rwanda now. They are so far away but they feel so close in my spirit. And so, my comforter tonight came in the form of a peaceful and humble Polish man named Janusz. Thank you for reminding me that there is a way to overcome pain... thank you for showing me the face of contentment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hay Girl,

The time has come. A lot of prep has gone into this trip. Do not fear, God knows what lies ahead for you and He has prepaired the way. Remember the first trip?

I am praying for you, Ben the kids and all your other guest. We will be here at home keeping you ever in our prayers

Love
Kath