Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Is it possible to be homesick while you are still home?

Is it possible to be homesick while you are still home? I feel melancholy at the thought of leaving home. It is all really happening! We are very close to completing our financial goal, and it eerie because I somehow thought perhaps it wouldn't happen! But I have been writing a list for three weeks now of things we need to accomplish before leaving the U.S. anyway, and it keeps growing. Ben and I worked on it together today and decided we needed to break it down in weekly chunks to accomplish it all (5 weeks to go). How do people do this?? I have never heard missionaries complain about how much preparation goes into leaving or coming home! I certainly won't be the first one right? Or will I?

I am contemplating all of the comforts I will miss sorely. Particularly my bed. It is so warm and comforting with a huge blanket. I love to spread out on it for a nap with all three of the dogs cuddling close to me. That reminds me, I will miss my dogs. I can't believe I am saying that! Those animals have been such a trial at times... peeing on the carpet, barking at every noise outside, running out the door, stealing each others food... it is like having 7 children and not 4! I will also miss my beautiful yellow daylilies blooming in June. And of course I will miss church. Going there on Sunday is like a homecoming of sorts. I just simply belong there. I will definitely miss fast food, Jewel, Target, Culver's Carmel Pecan Sundaes, CHEESE, my quick internet service, and maybe even more basic than that, dependable hot clean water and electricity. But I will especially miss being with my small group. I feel like I am going away permanently somehow... I know I am being overdramatic! You may be saying, "Melody, it is only 3 months!" Ahhh! That is the truth. But, when has the truth ever mattered when it came to my emotional outbursts??

Today I also looked at a very powerful website that my friend Kathy sent to me. There are several genocide memorials in Rwanda that I have not had an opportunity to see in person. I have seen one in the capital city of Kigali, and that one reminds me of a Westernized museum. There are photos and stories in these other memorials that are so difficult to look at, and yet, I feel compelled again to look at the reality of the country I love so dearly. I warn you that it is very graphic, but if you are interested in seeing the truth for yourself, go to http://www.museum.gov.rw/index.htm

So! I am putting together a list of what we need in Rwanda. We are setting up a house in a foreign country and there is nothing but a few beds and a table with 6 chairs. I have never done this before and we are supposed to squeeze everything in 12 suitcases! We are also going to squeeze 45 extra people in the home during the two "mission trips". Please pray for all of the people coming and my sanity! I am including the immediate needs list below. If you feel interested in helping provide any of these items, please feel free to email me at melody.pahlow@globalfamilyrescue.org I can give you a more accurate update as to what we are still looking for!


Immediate Needs List
Kraft mac and cheese, Ramen noodle packs (chicken or beef), chocolate, Chef Boy 'R" D pizza mix, hot cocoa mix, chocolate chips
Liquid Amoxcycillin unmixed (4 just in case)
Malaria medication (3 months worth for 6 people)
Ibuprofen (liquid and pill), Tylenol (liquid and pill), Chewable Pepcid AC, Claritin, Sudafed, Immodium AD, Nyquil
Kotex Pads and Tampons for 2 women for 3 months
Hair gel, John Freida anti frizz treatment, shampoo, conditioner, soap, lotion
BUG SPRAY and mosquito coils
Sun screen
Light weight blankets, pillows (for 6 people) and sheets - One king and two queen beds
Four bathroom rugs
Timers for lights in our U.S. home
8 HUGE suitcases
12 bath towels, kitchen rags and towels
Lighter
Flashlights and batteries
Paperback books - mystery, romance and historical fiction
Containers for sugar, flour, etc (NO ROACHES PLEASE GOD!)
Zip Lock Bags - All sizes
Seasonings - seasoned salt, onion and garlic powder, basics PLUS vanilla!
Summer education workbooks for children coming into 3rd, 5th, 7th and freshman years
Generator for House (would be nice!)
3 Laptops for Rwandan Staff
Nintendo DS games (used is fine!)
XB 360 games (I don't know if our boys will EVER get away from technology too much!)used is fine!

Trip Fundraising Update-April 26, 2006

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi mom its mike and i just wanted 2 say that i read your blog and it touched my hert thank you 4 bening my mom ! i love you even when u go 2 heaven [and dad]. i love you gyes and i am lookin forward 2 goin in 5 DAYS .
it is dryving me crazy !!!!!!!!!!!!




love mike!!!!!!!!!!!!